Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Today I noticed....




 that I am tired of this computer and the trackpad repositioning the mouse of my computer so I end up deleting text. I don’t know why it is so difficult to PC makers to solve this problem. The trackpads on most PCs are just too sensitive to random bumps. This causes me to suffer from the pointer jumping from place to place when I type or even more annoying the zoom of the application changes as I am scrolling. This doesn’t happen on my six year old Macbook, but happens on the year old ASUS I bought for the MBA program. Seems like the PC manufacturers would have deconstructed the Macbook and work together to solve this problem, but nope. This always makes me wonder why I bought a PC to replace or supplement my old Macbook, but then I am reminded of the annoying aspects of Macbooks and wish I could have an alternative to both. 

I tried Linux before and actually tried to install it on a third notebook I own, a Lenovo Ideapad 100S, but that was an involved process and after several hours this past weekend of research and failure to change the boot menu I decided it wasn’t worth it. Although, Windows is so awful and bulky that the lag can be very frustrating.

This is another thing, I purchased the Lenovo because it was cheap and I needed a temporary notebook that held a charge while this ASUS was being fixed for the second time in a year since I bought it. So I bought the Lenovo Ideapad with Windows, in hindsight I should have bought the Chromebook version. I could run all the MSOffice Applications in the browser through Office 365 and the ChomeOS wouldn’t be so slow and terrible compared to Windows on such an underpowered machine, which is why I wanted to install Linux on it.

Why didn’t I? Well the process was complex and after reading several forum posts even after getting Linux installed on the Ideapads they have problems with WiFi, battery notifications and sound. Two of the three are rather important, but sound is a nice option to have when watching YouTube or Netflix which will happen at some point. So I am left for now with a slow Windows PC, thankfully, this Asus computer works well enough, even with the annoying trackpad that jumps around on occasion like it is the third quarter at Camp Randall.

No comments:

Post a Comment